Re: md5sums in security advisories

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 08:30:38PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Joey requested that MD5 checksums are put in security advisories on the web
> pages, so I've added them, in a kludgey kinda way. Should we add a

nonononono! We *already* have the md5's available in a web-accessible
form in the mailing list archives. Having them on the wml pages is a Bad
Thing. There is no associated signature to validate that the md5's
haven't been tampered with. It is likely that anyone who could modify
the binaries on pandora could *also* modify the web pages. Adding md5's
to the web pages is a dangerously misleading false sense of security.
Anyone who wants this information for the purpose of validating a
security upload *must* use the pgp-signed version *already available.*

--
Mike Stone