Looking for suggestions on improving the mailing list descriptions

There are some problems with the way list descriptions are currently
handled. I'll start with the problems of the current setup from both
the listmaster and web perspectives. Hopefully, we can come up with a
system that will work better for everyone.

Background
After creating a list, the listmasters must remember to edit a file
called lists.cfg, which contains background information on all the
mailing lists and commit it to cvs.

WEB
The single file is extremely awkward. First, we have only read access
to it, so can't fix any mistakes. It would be much more convenient for
everyone involved if we could modify the file without having to go
through the listmasters.

A second problem is that a single file format is very awkward for
translators. Having each list in its own file would be much more
convenient.

LISTMASTER
There is already enough that needs to be done to maintain the rather
large number of mailing lists and maintaining lists.cfg is a pain.
It's easy to forget to update it. Splitting the file up will just
create more work.

Solutions
So far, we haven't been able to agree on one, which is why I wrote
this mail. Hopefully we can work out something that both parties will
be happy with.

The closest thing to a solution we've come up with to date is that the
web team maintain the list description information themselves. While
this has potential to succeed it also suffers from a communication
problem. How does the web team know when a new list is created.
Additionally, how do we create a description when we know nothing
about the list.

Perhaps this could all be pushed off on the people requesting the
list. Wherever it is explained how to request a list, it could be
explained that it is their responsibility to send the necessary info
to debian-www (list name, section, description, whether moderated and
whether open or closed subscription). Most of this is needed by the
listmasters already.

Anyway, if you have a good idea on how to resolve it, we'd like to
hear from you.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org