Re: distrib/ Makefile

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:51:14AM +0200, David Martinez CSIC RedIRIS wrote:
> I'm seeing that all of us (read translators) are using a
> Makefile in distrib/ quite different from the english/distrib/ one.
[...]
> our Makefiles are somewhat outdated.
>
> 	I know that this comment may be stupid, but I want to know
> definitely if Makefile's from english/ are mandatory (I think yes, reading
> the first lines in every Makefile), if I must overwrite my Makefile if I
> see changes in english Makefiles,

Yes, and yes. Usually, changes in the makefiles aren't terribly important,
but sometimes they are, so the makefiles should always be kept up-to-date.
It's not quite hard to do: just copy them over to your translation, they
will work.

Parts specific to the English version are enclosed in conditionals (and if
not, it's a bug :).

> and also if those tasks are supposed to be done by Makefile writers.

Well, it's nice when the one who edits the English makefile edits all
others, but that's often hard to do, so we don't do it. :)

The current setup of makefiles sure could use some help in that aspect...
maybe we could hack up a script or even an automatically executed rule that
would synchronize the makefiles with their originals in english/.