Re: lots of unneeded  s in our templates' define-tags

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 11:39:20AM -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:
> > Why do we need so many non-breaking-spaces in the tags? There's not much
> > point in e.g. defining MENUWIDTH to have a fixed width for the right column
> > of the front page, then. IMHO they just make the templates harder to read.
> >
> > They don't have any effect on `whitespace=delete' option of <define-tag>,
> > although it would seem logical they would... mp4h doesn't delete single
> > spaces with that option.
>
> We need the &nbsp; in the menu template so that the menu entries won't
> wrap.

Uh, I figured that out :>

Anyway, what happens a string wraps into the next line? The second line will
lose it's two-char alignment, which is done with two &nbsp;s in the first
line -- and that is really short-sighted design.

It's English-centric, too. Try loading the Italian, German, Dutch or
Croatian front page. Because of one or two long strings, the whole blue
column is made wider, and that doesn't look so pretty. All those small
Helvetica letters, then some blue empty space, and then some larger Times
text...

Not to mention how badly it looks in a 80x25 browser. The right column is
almost as wide as the left one.

> You mentioned MENUWIDTH... that may not do what you think it would do,
> when you consider that many browsers allow the users to change the default
> font size.  The menu width stays the same, however, so with a large font,
> the text in the menu is going to wrap, and it would look ugly.

Actually, MENUWIDTH is pointless. It would have effect if all strings in the
uses font size 2. :)

IMHO it all boils down to the fact we really need to redesign the front
page.