Re: Providing Logos

At 02:22 -0400 1999-06-29, James A. Treacy wrote:
Because I wasn't thinking. :) As long as the jpg image is of
acceptable quality we can use it.

I'm really not keen on the jpg format, though, for technical
reasons. Editing a jpg is like washing clothes, but worse.
Every time you edit it, the quality of the image deteriorates(*).

Also, JPEG is designed for photographic images, solid color images or line art tend to look like crap in JPEG format (have you seen what happened to the white background of the old logo in JPEG format? it ended up with a slight green tinge).

I personally don't see the big deal with using GIF, our logo was likely made with non-free software anyway, and it is possible to write GIFs without infringing on the LZW patent (libungif, libgd 1.3 or later).
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>