apache debugging needed

Apache appears to be misbehaving again. I am looking for someone to do
some debugging to figure out where the problem lies. The only way I've
been able to get the apache people to do anything about problems
with content negotiation is to send them a patch fixing the problem
(even then they often need to be sent more than once).

Here is the problem:

1. wget --header="Accept-Language: en" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install
   variants install.html, install.{cs,en,fi,fr,hr,ja}.html, install.bat
   apache returns install.en.html - GOOD

2. wget --header="Accept-Language: en-us" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install
   variants install.html, install.{cs,en,fi,fr,hr,ja}.html, install.bat
   apache returns install.bat - BAD

3. wget --header="Accept-Language: en-us" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install
   variants install.html, install.{cs,en,fi,fr,hr,ja}.html
   apache returns install.html - GOOD

4. wget http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install
   variants install.html, install.{cs,en,fi,fr,hr,ja}.html, install.bat
   apache returns install.fr.html - BAD

5. wget http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

6. wget --header="Accept: text/html, text/plain" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

7. wget --header="Accept: */*" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

8. wget --header="Accept-Language: en-us" --header="Accept: text/html, text/plain" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

9. wget --header="Accept-Language: en-us" --header="Accept: */*" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

10. wget --header="Accept-Language: en" --header="Accept: text/html, text/plain" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install

11. wget --header="Accept-Language: en" --header="Accept: */*" http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/install
   variants install.html, install.{cs,en,fi,fr,hr,ja}.html, install.bat
   apache returns install.en.html - GOOD

Note that install.html -> install.en.html
Also, there are .pdf variants, but they don't seem to be involved here.

The problems I fixed earlier only involved files with the same mime type (text/html).
In this case, there are variants with different mime types (text/html and text/plain).
>From the examples, it is fairly clear in what cases apache will go wrong. The
hard part is setting up a server at home that will mimic this behavior and debugging
apache. Consider it a challenge.

BTW, www.debian.org is running apache 1.3.3-6

Jay Treacy