Re: Package i18n

From: Michael Sobolev <mss@transas.com>
Subject: Package i18n
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:24:32 +0400

> I remember somebody was talking about certain things concerning package
> localization.  What is the current situation with this?  Here are the
> issues I see (unfortunately, without proposals of any kind):
>
>     localization of package description
>     localization of the program messages
>
> The former means some changes to be done on the format of the control file for
> debian package.  The latter means creating a policy about program localization.

The problem left is where should the package description/program
messages reside.

If we put these description/messages for all languages into each
package, users have to install the description/messages for langauages
they don't want (and package maintainance beomes more difficult).

If we put these description/messages of all programs into a single
package for each language, users have to install the
description/messages for packages they don't want (and we cannot
display translated description by "dpkg -- info").

> Does anybody have any reference on the ongoing works?

AFAIK, nobody is working on this.

I remember a few people said that the translation effort for the
package description is going on in some countries (and we are working
for Japanese now). How about putting these on cvs.debian.org and use
them to generate translated "Packages" pages
(http://www.debian.org/Packages/<distribution>) first? This may help
keeping motivation of the description translators.

I don't know who has a script to generate these pages and who is
managing cvs.debian.org. Who should I contact?

--
Keita Maehara <maehara@debian.org>