Re: Installing the Chinese web pages

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, James A. Treacy wrote:

> The links are based on the existence of the .wml files, not .<lang>.html
> in the destination directory. If a .wml page is committed it will
> get a link even if its page is not installed. This is not optimal,
> but was simple to implement.

But hey, it works very well!  :-)

> I have not done a make install on the chinese pages because when a
> make is run only .zh.html files are created, not .zh-??.html.
> What is needed to make the pages properly? I admit that I haven't had
> a chance to look into this at all.

Try again.  :-)  I fixed it a few days ago.  :-)

I made some changes to Make.common, Make.dep.generic etc. in the Chinese
directory to generate all three versions.  ;-)  First, the .zh.html is
generated, and then a charset conversion program (installed in chinese/bin)
is run and a Perl script generated to fix up all the stuff and generate
.zh-tw.html and .zh-cn.html.  A "make install" run would only install the
.zh-tw.html and .zh-cn.html though.  I have tried it at home, and those
changes were committed a few days ago.  Please let me know if it works or
not.

Also, as you might have noticed, I tweaked template/debian/languages.wml
so it generates links to both GB and Big5 versions for Chinese only.
Again, probably an ugly hack, and not very generic, but I would bet
such a case only happens with Chinese.  All other languages seem to have
a unified coding already.

Yes, I know, my current solution might not be the most elegant, but
it works for now.  :-)  Currently, I have set it up to use Big5 as the
master format (in .wml and the resulting .zh.html), but I am considering
using UTF8 instead 'cause Big5 has a few minor annoyances.  :-)

Anthony  <-- who started to get an headache sorting out all the Big5/GB
             stuff and the variations in Chinese computer terms, etc.
             Ah well, that's life.  But hey, I guess it does make
             it more challenging and more fun.  ;-)

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada