Re: Some notes about CD vendors page

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 12:56:27PM +1100, Craig Small wrote:

>   Well it seems that the requests for putting information on about people
> selling CDs is coming in thick and fast, which is a good sign for Debian
> I think.

I noticed that you aren't listed as receiving mail to webmaster and a lot
of the vendor requests are sent there. As it is, I have no idea whether
requests are getting added to the page unless I go look. Is it ok if I get
you added to the webmaster list? You could also help answer luser questions
sent there. :)

> Some notes about the site I'd like to bring up.

Feedback. I like that.

> 1) The file vendors.wml lists all the countries, I believe they should
> probably use the tagged version (ie <australia> not Australia so they
> get translated too.

vendors.wml gets translated. vendors.CD shouldn't need to be touched by the
translators and vendors.CD.def contains the definitions for all the phrases in
each language. It was set up this way so that a translator has responsibility
for the textual part of the page (all in vendors.wml) and you (Craig) have
control of the rest. Of course, the translator will need to add translations
for all the phrases.

Since the definitions need to be before a tag is used and I wanted to keep this
simple, the first occurence of the countries (which is in vendors.wml) does not
use the tag. I'm open to suggestions for improvements though.

> 2) The books should probably be put into a similar format as the CDs are.
> jt, I'm using the new CD vendors list thingy you've setup and its
> excellent.  This will also make it easier to split the books off when
> that section becomes too large.

This was my intention. I figured it wasn't worth it with only one entry. It
looks like we are now up to 2 or 3 so a seperate page may be worth it.
Since the books deserve a description it is probably easier if the translators
just translate them rather than setting up something elaborate like for vendors.CD.
Actually, what is the point in translating them from the language of the book?

If you would like to set up tags anyway and want some help, simply send me
a sample entry and I'll whip something up.

> 3) We have a request to add in a CD vendor from The Netherlands.  What is
> the right english name for this country? Holland? Netherlands? The Netherlands?
> Also what is its two-letter country code, I think it is .nl

The country used to commonly be called Holand but is properly Netherlands. It is
common to add 'the' to the beginning when speaking as it sounds better. Of
course, the people are Dutch. To complicate matters, in French the country is
called Pays Bas, but the people are Hollandais. Confusing isn't it?
Just use Netherlands.

> 4) This is mainly for jt;  Is there any reason why only Frank CDROM uses
> the new <vendorentry> container tag thingy?  Or is it a matter of "well
> I've done one for you Craig, do the rest"?  That's ok, i just need to know
> if there is a reason not to use them.  I hope your string protection is
> working, because the Canadian entry used an ampersand (which I used &amp; for
> the name.

I wanted to set up a nice container tag for entries but decided that it was
more trouble than it is worth. If you like the simple container tag, <vendorentry>,
then you can convert them all. If you don't want to use it, that's fine with me
too.

You don't need to worry about string protection as wml has done that already.
It's only if you work in perl directly (within wml) that you need to worry about it.

Jay Treacy