web page source available via CVS

The web page source is available via CVS.
Currently you can only access the pages read-only
with anonymous access:
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@www.debian.org:/cvs/webwml login
  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@www.debian.org:/cvs/webwml checkout webwml
I will be creating a web page about this eventually.

I'd like to see people start translating. To keep it organized, it
will be easiest if each language has a coordinator and the group
of translators for each language communicates between themselves
(using the debian-<language> mailing lists if they like).
Until/unless I work something better out, I will only be granting
write priviledges to the coordinators for each language.

To begin a translation, create a new language directory parallel
to the english directory. Copy english/template/ to the new
language dir. Start by translating the .wml template files.
Once that is done, you can translate the files one at a time.
Until others get write access to CVS, I will have to install
the translations - so choose coordinators quickly.
Oh yeah, also copy english/.wmlrc and change the CUR_LANG
variable in it.

I'm looking into using the -i option of the modules file
to report changes to the files in the english directory
to debian-www. That way, the translators will know when the
english version of a file has been changed so they can update
the translation.

You will need to install wml to compile the .wml files
into html. There is a Makefile in webwml/english/
which will take care of everything and even put the html file in
debian.org/ (that's ../../debian.org from english/).
Copy it to the new language dir, change the LANG variable and only
uncomment the lines following 'all:' for the the .wml files which
are translated. 'make' should then update everything.

Unfortunately, I'm going out of town again. I should be back
either Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully others on the list will be
able to answer any questions that arise and fix anything that I've
broken. :)

Jay Treacy