Re: organization of Debian's machines

On 23 Feb 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> We obviously have extreme problems with master's load.  My archive
> scripts which used to take about 1.5 or 2 hours to run a few months
> ago now take 10 hours or more.  I think the mailing lists are the main
> culprits here.  The addition of the real time black hole stuff was the
> proverbial straw.  Hopefully a new listserver will be christened very
> soon.

It isn't the RBL stuff, it only acts on incoming traffic which is minimal
(~10msgs/hour). I did some tests today, master without the lists running
today (busy day for cron jobs) cruises along at a load average of 5 to 8.
Chuck the lists in an the machine kills itself at 30 - 50. Remove the cron
jobs and let the machine just handle lists and it is happy at 5-10. For
comparision va under the strain of the lists (all out 120 outgoing and
about 7msgs/sec incomming - acting as a relay for master) doesn't go past
5.

I do not know why your cron jobs are so much slower, I have seen them
steadally take longer and longer, today one has been running in excess of
8 hours already. Perhaps there is a bug?

Hopefully mark will reboot the machine tomorrow and get the new kernel
on, I suspect that initself will give a big performance gain (.32 is much
faster than .27 I have noticed) and the tweaks to the drivers should help
significantly as well.

Oddly, with a load of 28 top reported about 50% cpu utilization indicating
gobs of disk bound processes, considering there are 3 disks on two
controllers and the load is pretty even across them I think the machine is
at it's IO limit.

I too am hoping for a new list server, but I haven't heard anything other
than rumors.

Jason