Re: logo and page layout.

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, James A.Treacy wrote:

> >     James> I really wish that there was a universally accepted
> >     James> #include directive for web pages so I could put the header
> >     James> stuff in a seperate file.
> >
> >  It's possible to use `m4', or, I suppose, `cpp', with a file
> >  extension, and configure Apache with a `handler' that causes it to
> >  run the file through the macro processor on the fly.
> >
> >  Or, you can use `m4' to generate static pages.  There was an article
> >  in the `Linux Gazette' about it.  You should be able to find it if
> >  you go grep there.
> >
> Maybe I should have explained myself better. The decision was made that
> the web pages should be server independent. This means that I can't use
> the nice extras that many servers provide for doing this sort of thing
> to make mirroring the pages easy. It just makes life more complicated
> sometimes.

I once wrote a simple Perl script, that copies a HTML file from stdin to
stdout and replaces all text between too marker lines (included in HTML
comment tags) with the contents of some include file. Since the marker
lines are not removed from the output HTML file, you can run this script
over the same HTML pages over and over again and get some sections
updated.

I run this script over my web pages (i.e., the DDP home page) after I did
some changes. As the output is static HTML pages again, this works with
_any_ server and client. (It's the same procedure as if you start your
editor and update the text yourself.)

If you are intrested, I'll send you the script (it's really very easy).

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,