Call for participation in Master's dissertation research project on women and non-binary persons in geek communities

Hi,

I'm currently a Master's student at the University of Glasgow studying Sociology and Research Methods. (Previously, I was a linux sysadmin for many years.)

For my dissertation, I am compiling and analysing the day-to-day experiences of women and non-binary persons in both online and in person interactions as members of geek communities, using Debian as an example of one of these.

To do this, I am seeking to interview 10 to 15 people, involved in Debian in any way (technical or otherwise), who identify as anything other than male.

Interviews would take place over Skype, during June and early July, and take between 90 minutes and 2 hours.

Potential participants should be over the age of 18 and comfortable to converse about their lives in English.

If you have any questions or are interested in taking part, please email 2223232m@student.gla.ac.uk for more details.

I am also available on IRC to answer questions (in #debian-uk and #debian-women), using the nick dkscully.

This study has been reviewed by the University of Glasgow College of Social Sciences Ethics Forum.

If you have any concerns regarding the conduct of this research project, you should contact my supervisor, Dr Matt Dawson, by email (Matt.Dawson@glasgow.ac.uk) or telephone (+44 141 3305169).

Best regards,
Lesley Mitchell (dkscully)