Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

On 30 April 2015 at 16:43, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 09:50:12AM +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
>> Hi to All,
>
>>  > [1] <http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/persistent/images/8/82/OfficialPoster_090.jpg>
>>  > [2] <http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/persistent/images/6/65/OfficialPoster_081.jpg>
>
>> I see one woman, and ~15 anymals, no men at all.
>
>> How can this be interpreted as "privileging a male gaze position."?
>
> The phrase "male gaze" refers to content rendered from the *point of view*
> of the (implicitly heterosexual) male.  So images of women instead of men is
> consistent with this idea, on the grounds that men would rather look at
> ("sexy") images of women than at images of men.
>
> I won't comment on the content itself.  Interpreting any particular image as
> "privileging the male gaze" is subjective.
>
> --
> Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
> Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
> Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
> slangasek@ubuntu.com                                     vorlon@debian.org

 From the screenshots on http://supertuxkart.blogspot.fi/ it seems
that she does have clothes on in the game itself (though her
cold-resistance is marvelous in the screenshot where she drives
through snowy village with bare shoulders). But in a way that makes
the poster only more pointing, if it's not even representing what she
is like in the game (so much for the question if that kind of
character is needed for some role in the game). She does not have same
clothes on both screenshots where she appears, so her clothes do
change in the game, and it's possible that she is more scantily
clothed in some situation not appearing in screenshots, though.

 - ML