Re: "Safe" teams (?)

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM,  <enrico@enricozini.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In contributors.debian.org I've implemented a list of contributions
> grouped by team[1], with the intent, among other things, to create a
> shopping list of teams one may want to consider joining, when trying to
> get more involved in Debian.
>
> At the mini-debconf in Barcelona, when the discussion was about
> mentoring, I was thinking that mentorees can just be invited to join
> teams which are well-known for being safe to dive into, possibly with
> the discreet handholding of an experienced contributor[2].
>
> That made me wonder if you (as d-w group) already know of teams that are
> known to be "better" or "safer" than others wrt gender issues. I'm not
> interested in knowing the contents of such a list, though I think it
> would be a good resource to the project if such a list existed, or if
> such a track record was kept. Both so that there are places to
> recommend when asked, and so that we know where there are still issues
> to be addressed.

Great initiative!

I am extremely sensitive against bad behaviour and fight this in public
on lists and meetings etc. It is difficult guaranteeing a good outcome
though, but I beleive it is better to show what is wrong than to silently
accept.

Wherevery I am fairly active I go up against bad behaviour. That does
not mean that the lists per say are better or safer, but I will take active
part against bad behaviour.

I am also unsure about how this should be evaluated. Just because
nothing has come up doesn't mean the list is good; say on a list or
team with a homogenous group problems may never have appeared.

Maybe it can be good to ask the teams themselves to evaluate
themselves?

> [1] https://contributors.debian.org/contributors/sources/flat

Are those data sources only or also teams? I checked how to add to
the list and arrive at data sources and debian contributors, nothing
on how to add a link to a team (without any data source). Most, or even
all, team participation is already covered by bugs|git|wiki.d.o data
sources.

> [2] In another community, I got a welcome message that had a passage
>     somewhat like this:
>
>       «If you ever need anything or if you are just lost about
>       something, you can send an email to <group email>.
>
>       If there's anything ~I~ can do for you to help you get started
>       here, please let me know.»

In the Debian Welcome team founded last DebConf, we had the
intention of creating exactly this. I am sad to say that this work has
still not started. :-(

--
Per