Re: Interesting article about women in science

> On Oct 7, 2013, at 4:23 AM, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The New York Times has published and interesting (and long) article
> about the lack of women in Science:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are-there-still-so-few-women-in-science.html
>
> It focuses particularly on maths and physics and it's a bit
> US-centric, but I still found it quite an interesting read.
>
> --
> Besos,
> Marga

Now I do find this interesting and even personable. Not simply because I am a woman. But because of an experience I have had in school. That University of Alaska system mentioned in the article no less.

 To relate, my second day of my second semester in Java, I was taking a course taught by a male professor who was new to me. Because I am Dyslexic we had a brief discussion after class about special needs. I was a bit miffed because he had made a bit of fun about those who benefit from accommodations, as the syllabus was being recited before class. In our discussion he felt it needful to advise me that if I needed assistance to pass his class then what was I to expect in the work place when they didn't offer me accommodations and expected work performance? I was almost considering this advice as it was coming from someone with a doctorate after all. But then he went on to state that he found that the few women who had taken his course usually left computer science  for a more fitting profession in something like psychology. My second day of class and I had already lost any respect I had for him.

Wouldn't you know it? The department offers three professors as advisors based upon the first letter of our last name. As such he is my advisor. Needless to say, I have never sought him out for any advising. In that Java course there were four women and I guess fifteen men. After I dropped the course there were only two. What hurts the most is, I only proved him right. At least in his eyes I'm sure.

Kristen