Re: Outreach Program for Women: next round

> 2013/9/3 Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
>
>> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 02:54:09PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>>> 1. find people willing to act as "admins/organizers". Many people have
>>>    expressed their willingness to help, but we still a least one person
>>>    to do the coordination.

I follow this project closely and find it quite interesting, but i'm way
too new in Debian, and too bad at organising, to volunteer. I have some
ideas though, see below :)

>> I can't volunteer myself (sorry about that), but I think the most
>> pressing need is sending out a call for project proposals *specifically*
>> aimed at attracting submissions of non-development tasks. This is
>> because we are quite good at attracting development task proposals
>> (repeated GSoC successes testify that), but we have basically zero
>> experience in attracting other kinds of project proposals.

Here are some non-development tasks that pop to mind:
* a complete artwork for the next release (the specifications are listed
quite precicely[1], so the task is already defined).
* something to do with translation? Maybe some from the translation
teams could come up with specific tasks that could be done by a
newcomer, interesting both for the applicant and for Debian? That would
require the chosen language translation team to be available for helping
the applicant.
* a new CSS for debian.org (i guess this one will start some trolling
around).
* testing a defined number of bugreports marked "moreinfo" or
"unreproductible", and providing feedback to the maintainers. Those
should probably be chosen with a team that has some idea of what kind of
testing they need, and are available to answer questions.
* if someone has ideas of missing documentation, writing some could be a
useful task :)

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/Artwork/Requirements

Some of those ideas are probably crazy, or impossible to realise without
adequate mentors, but it might inspire someone :)

> Miriam Ruiz:
> There's a lot of things to do, both regarding infrastructure and
> understanding of kids. The ultimate goal is to get, in words of the Debian
> Pure Blends project itself: "a subset of Debian that is configured to
> support a particular target group out-of-the-box". I feel that the project
> would be somehow between the Games Team [6] and Debian Edu [7].

> If anyone thinks that some interesting project might come out of this, I
> could probably be able -maybe with some help- to define it better, so
> feedback is welcome.

That sounds great ! I'd love to see it happen and propose it to children
around me :)

 Solveig