Re: Outreach Program for Women: next round

On 22/08/13 at 14:23 +0200, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Mònica Ramírez Arceda
> <monica@debian.org> wrote:
> > Past round, the first one that Debian participated, coincided with the
> > GSoC project, so we took advantage of their projects and mentors. Rounds
> > that OPW don't coincide with GSoC will need more work because we need to
> > find projects as well as mentors.
>
> I recently re-read all the threads related to OPW and I was surprised
> to see that there was a very strong reaction regarding the money.
> Several people declared that they were against Debian paying for this
> on a regular basis; and although it was deemed ok for this to be done
> once (as an experiment), future instances should get the money from
> somewhere else (i.e. a sponsor that is earmarking their donations for
> this and not for general Debian money).
>
> The previous instance didn't end up spending any money, because the
> accepted project was also accepted by GSoC, and thus dropped from OPW.
>  However, given how vocal the opposition was in the previous round, I
> think that this issue needs to be addressed and cleared before
> investing any effort in gather projects and mentors.
>
> So, has this been approved as a continuation of the previous
> experiment, that never got to spend any money? Or do we need to do
> some fundraising first?

Hi,

Yes, there is quite a lot of opposition to using general Debian reserves
for OPW, which I can understand. I really think that this 'experiment'
should cover all aspects of Debian participation in OPW, and that
includes testing our ability to raise money specifically for this.

Now, I know that time is pressing, so I'm willing to compromise a bit.
If we are able to raise a significant amount of money for Debian's OPW
participation, but still not enough to have one intern, I would be
willing to argue for the use of some pure-Debian money for that.

But clearly, the two most pressing issues are:
1. find people willing to act as "admins/organizers". Many people have
   expressed their willingness to help, but we still a least one person
   to do the coordination.
2. fundraising. Here, many people said they would be willing to help,
   but we need coordinator(s).

Lucas