Gender, Representativeness and Reputation in StackOverflow

Dear Debian-Women subscribers,

As a part of an on-going research effort on the impact of collaboration sites on the developers community, we would like to understand the demographics of StackOverflow participants and their activity. Specifically we are focusing on how genders, minorities and cultural background are represented in the population of users and participants of StackOverflow. While I understand that this question is not Debian specific, it also seems plausible to assume that many Debian-developers participate in StackOverflow discussions.

In our previous research we have proposed an h-index for open source developers (http://www.win.tue.nl/~aserebre/MSR2012.pdf), and we have a paper under review about how web activity (also Stack Overflow's) could be used by candidates as their resumes. In our current research we are focusing on how genders, minorities and cultural background are represented in the population of users and participants of StackOverflow.

Survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhtUVNQTEJmRTlwMVJSQ1hkeUZTR3c6MQ#gid=0
Discussion of this survey on Meta Stack Overflow: http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/139901/gender-representativeness-and-reputation-in-stackoverflow
We ask you to indicate your gender, location, educational background and professional experience in Open Source and proprietary software.

Filling this questionnaire should not take more than a couple of minutes. Personal data will not be made available to third parties and no identifiable details about individual participants will be published.

We are:

Andrea Capiluppi [Brunel University, UK]
Alexander Serebrenik [Eindhoven University of Technology, NL]
Bogdan Vasilescu [Eindhoven University of Technology, NL]