Re: Controlling display brightness

On 06/23/2012 04:59 AM, 'lesleyb' wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 04:11:43PM -0800, Kristen R wrote:
>>
>> Ladies,
>>
>> 	I posted this message to the Debian-PowerPC list and received no
>> response. I thought it worth while to post the same question here and
>> see if anyone has thoughts for me.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> List,
>> 	I am running Debian 2.6.32-5-powerpc-smp (Sqeeze) on my Mystic G4 Apple
>> computer. I am also utilizing an Apple keyboard. I have  noticed that
>> while the keyboard does have two keys for brightness control, neither
>> one functions in this capacity. I also find that I have nothing with
>> which to control display brightness on my Samsung T220.
>>
>> Is there a package I should have installed that provides this
>> functionality? If so I don't know what one. I am also seeking a package
>> which is able to put the monitor to sleep during periods of inactivity.
>> Of course I wish I could do the same for the computer it's self.
>>
>> Thank you all for your thoughts
>>
>> Kristen
>>
> Hi Kristen
>
> I have a Dell M65 running Debian wheezy and the keyboard does have a dimmer
> function which works under wheezy.  So on some models these things can be made
> to work but it comes down to system configuration and generally speaking that
> means dealing with the X11 config for your keyboard.
>
> I may have been fortunate that Dell M65 appears in
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/dell, /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst and
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml so you could hunt in the /usr/share/X11/xkb
> directory for anything about your particular Apple keyboard and configure your
> system to use that config.
>
> You may need to also look for config details for your screen as well.
>
> I also run the acpid deamon to control system/screen sleep mode after a period
> of inactivity.
>
> I don't know what particular keyboard you are using, but my M65 screen
> brightness is controlled by a combination of keys so you might want to ensure
> what the situation is with your keyboard.
>
> Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.
>
> Lesley

Thanks for your response Lesley!

	I have glanced through the directories and files you mentioned. I find
that for Apple, there are enteries for the old Macintosh Extended II
keyboard and also for Apple laptops. But I find no entries for the Apple
aluminum keyboard I have. Do I need to study the Xserver to understand
these files? Or is there some other place for education?

	I also noticed that the files you referenced are for the old XFree86
project and not Xorg. But they must be working together.

	Also, the Apple PowerMac's do not use ACPI I have been told. So Apple
has some other mechanism as bright/dim, putting the monitor to sleep
along with hibernation are all functional under OS X and work on my
computer.

Thank you again

Kristen