Re: Questions and comments regarding Debian Women

* Mònica Ramírez Arceda <monica@probeta.net> [2011:04:25 22:18 +0200]:
> > 2011/4/25 Mònica Ramírez <monica@probeta.net>:
> >
> > > About becoming a DD, I'm not trying to be a DD for two reasons: the
> > > first one is that I don't feel sure enough with the required skills,
> >
> > I think this is a common issue for us women. The geek feminism wiki
> > names this the "Impostor Syndrome" [1].  I guess most of us have felt
> > it at some point.  And it's important to fight it when you realize you
> > are suffering from it.
> >
> > [1]:  http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
>
> Very interesting! But we must be careful not to go to the other side. I
> mean we can't think: Ah, I'm a woman so I have very good technical
> skills but I don't realise it.
>
> It's good to know your own capabilities, whether you feel as a woman or
> as a man... maybe with someone that shakes you a little bit when you
> underestimate (or overestimate!) yourself ;-)

Well, I think at some point the constant self-conscious evaluation of your
skills has to stop and you have to say: I want to do this and I believe that I
can. Making that kind of mental commitment to overcoming obstacles has always
been much more useful to me than whatever happens to be in my current technical
toolbox.