Re: Questions about DDTP

On 08/20/2010 10:07 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
Quoting Karolina Kalic (karolina@janos.in.rs):
As a new translator, and not so new user, I would say, yes, you are
completely wrong. :)

There are lots of funny stuff related with aptitude, apt-get and other
free software. Have you heard about Super Cow? :)

I don't think it's refusing people, on contrary. Just give your best
in translating, and if you think something is difficult to translate,
and not to lose it's meaning, just quote it. Or, you can add some joke
in your language, that could be interesting.

Of course, there is always a possibility that I'm wrong, but there is
always a community to correct me. :)

Translating jokes is far from easy as they often have cultural
background that may vary from one place to another. I, for instance,
had most trouble translating jokes about Super Cow Powers in
aptitude's help messages..:)

So, these are definitely areas were translators can certainly use
their freedom of choice: either introduce some jokes of their own,
trying to keep the original "spirit" of the fun....or just skip them
when they think they're inappropriate.

A friend of mine suggested me to report that as a bug so we can start a more open discussion. I'm not sure about doing that but I'm not sure I'm getting this "spirit of the fun" either. So, thanks for the answers. I'll try again with another description.

Carolina

"...all progress depends on the unreasonable man" [and/or women] (George Bernard Shaw)
http://www.piensalibre.net ¡Software libre para un mundo libre!