Re: Article on Debian Women

Hi Jutta,

I read your message and I agree with you. I vote for "you" rather than
for he/she (which is usually used in manuals). English is very gender -
neutral. One or user, or you, nothing shows the gender. Unlike English,
in most other languages I know (Spanish, French, Bulgarian), everything
is having gender. It is much more difficult to avoid the form there.
So, I really think it will be great to speak in you. At least English
allows us to be neutral...

However, I check man ls, and all it gives is: ls - list directory
contents. It does not mention any user, rather than describes the
actiions. I think this is the most neutral way or writing documentation.
With my modest experience in translating software into Bulgarian,
whenever there is a command we (since we have no infinitiv form of the
verbs) transform the verb into its noun form (which in English is the
infinitiv). So we avoid the person at all.

Best wishes,

Christina