Permissions and ownership of files

Hello,

I have started co-maintaining a webapp package, dokuwiki.

This webapp stores dynamic data – possibly private – on the file system.
I could not find this case on the webapp draft manual (to be added?),
but this directory is currently
    www-data:root 0700 /var/lib/dokuwiki/data

It also includes a page for plugin management, that allows to add
components to the webapp. I think this can be considered as dynamic
data:
    www-data:root 0755 /var/lib/dokuwiki/plugins

Finally, it also includes a web page for configuration management. This
case is documented in the draft manual:
    root:www-data 0664 /etc/dokuwiki/local.php

However, giving write access to the configuration, and specially to the
plugins – that modify the application behaviour –, seems quite sensitive
to me. In addition, the webapp is still usable and manually manageable
without such rights. So I am thinking about using debconf to ask the
user whether he wants to allow it. For the configuration, it results in
a chown/chmod in the postinst. For the plugins, I think it requires a
dpkg-statoverride. Do you know examples of such uses?

Regards,

--
Tanguy Ortolo