Re: Web App And The FHS

hi charlie,

On Monday 16 July 2007 12:14:35 Charlie wrote:
>  A DD reviewed my package and suggested that I install into
>  /usr/share/package/www and quoted this manual.
>
>  The package I am working on is architecture-independent, so long as
>  the webserver supports MySQL and PHP.
>
>  Now the way I read this I should be installing into
>  /usr/share/<packagename>.

i would say that this is correct.  i usually recommend that you choose some
subdirectory of /usr/share/<package>, only because later you might need to
put other things from <package> in /usr/share that you don't necessarily want
as part of the website.  so, in the webapps draft document, you see a
recommendation for /usr/share/<package>/www (though a /htdocs, /site, or
whatever would be just the same as far as i'm concerned).

>  To help me get a better understand this, what is the difference
>  between dynamically interpreted content and dynamically executed content?

yes, it's kind of vague... and is maybe even not so relevant any more.
honestly i think all references to packages using /usr/lib/cgi-bin should be
removed entirely...  the main difference between the two is
that "interpreted" content are scripts that are opened, read, and interpreted
by the webserver itself, whereas "executed" are external (cgi) programs that
are run by the webserver.  of course, it's possible that an application could
be both, as php supports both the standard mod_php style approach as well as
a fastcgi implementation.

	sean