Re: What about our webapp policy draft?

* sean finney (seanius@debian.org) disait :
> from my point of view, these are the next few steps:
>
> - get more "outside eyes" reading over the document for review.  mainly
>   i'd like to see at least one of the apache team sign off on it,
>   as they have a vested interest in seeing this work as well.

As I used to package an inoffical flavor of apache (apache-lingerd) I
know a few members of the apache maintainers, I'm going to contact them
for a first review.

> - get more work done on the webapps-common package to actually
>   implement this stuff.

I'm willing to help for this, could you point me to the right place to
look at?

> - after webapps-common is in a releasable state, we could start lobbying
>   people to use it.
> - after people start using it, we could start lobbying the developers'
>   reference to mention us.
> - after the developers' ref mentions us (or in parallel to the above) we
>   could then start lobbying the policy peeps.

Sounds good.

> > I'd like to know also if you think that a "Debian Webapp Team" could be
> > a good thing. I'm currently maintaining Bugzilla and have real
> > difficulties to keep my package up-to-date with security fixes when
> > upstream drop support (this sadly happens quickly in Mozilla's side).
>
> i think for simple drop-and-go webapps this might be of help, but for
> anything of significant complexity, i don't know that it will get us
> much.  with lots of the more complicated webapps you have to be
> familiar with what it does and how to use it to be fully effective
> at packaging.

I agree with you, on complex issues, only someone familiar with the
package can fix them. But there are several common issues when we are
about "webapps", and I think a team can efficiently fix them.

This team could also provide an "expert" point of view for
reviewing/sponsoring new webapp packages.

Regards,

	Alexis.

--
Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@sukria.net>