Re: PHP Policy Draft: API version

On 2006-04-11, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:
> php-json-ext that I maintain, should respect the best practices. but I
> *may* be wrong, and will be happy to fix it the right way.

I have one question - why do you set:

Depends: phpapi-XXXXXXXX, phpN-common

Where XXXXXXXX is the api version and N is the PHP major version (i.e.
4 or 5).  It doesn't appear that you directly need phpN-common, and
anything which provides phpapi-XXXXXXXX should depend on it if it
needs it, shouldn't it?

I'm not saying you're wrong (especially since the majority of PHP
modules seem to set their dependencies like this), just wondering why
it is done this way.

The PHP Policy Draft doesn't seem to cover this at all, but I think it
should...

Cheers,
    Olly