Re: PHP library location

hi seo,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 05:03:41PM +0900, Seo Sanghyeon wrote:
> Is there a policy for location of pure-PHP library? Is it
> /usr/share/php?

there's no policy for anything specific to php currently, although we've
been working on a document in the past several months that we hope
will eventually be accepted as a policy document for php:

http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft-php/html/

however, i don't think we have anything concrete about where php
libraries should go.  i think the general consensus was something
like the following:

- if you have a php library that is intended to be used mainly by one
  application (like say an api for some php-based CMS), then
  somewhere underneath /usr/share/<package> is okay.
- if you have a php library that is intended to be used by third-party
  applications (like the fpdf package in the bug report), then you
  should put it under /usr/share/php/<package>, as it will then be
  in the default system php path.
- there has also been some discussion about packages that require
  certain versions of php to work, and we were going to do something
  like /usr/share/php<version>/<package> for them.

> See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=329749 for a bug
> concerning this... There are others.

in such a case i think it would be beneficial to all to have such an
app unde4r /usr/share/php.  however, before making such a change i would
strongly suggest either (a) emailing the maintainers of all packages
depending on fpdf to let them know of the change, or (b) symlinking
the old, "deprecated" location to point at the new one, to avoid
breakage.

if nobody has a problem with what i stated above, i'll throw it into the
draft.

	sean