Re: Depending on PHP

hi thijs,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:57:22PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> Depends: libapache2-mod-php4 | libapache-mod-php4 | php4-cgi | php4 |
> libapache2-mod-php5 | libapache-mod-php5 | php5-cgi | php5, php4-mysql |
> php4-pgsql | php4-odbc | php4-sybase | php5-mysql | php5-pgsql |
> php5-odbc | php5-sybase, apache2 | httpd, debconf (>= 1.2.0) |
> debconf-2.0
>
> This is in my opinion insanely long and complex. Do the members of this
> list have any idea whether this can be made any shorter and more to the
> point, or if it's not currently possible, is there something we could do
> to make it possible?

i haven't thought this out very thoroughly, but perhaps all of

libapache2-mod-php4
libapache-mod-php4
php4-cgi
php4

could provide a virtual package "php4-engine", and likewise for php5?
i'm not convinced that it will work in all cases/combinations of
packages, but could be worth more examination.

as for the db stuff, i don't think you could generalize the problem
enough to have a beter solution than what you're already doing, as
there are so many applications out there that only work with specific
db engines, and there's probably a risk that the package
providing one virtual package isn't the one that was meant to complement
the other vitual package (ie libapache2-mod-php4 + php5-mysql or
something).

	sean