Re: webserver config: which solution is recommended ?

hi arnaud,

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:16:51AM +0200, Arnaud Guiton wrote:
> The second problem which is (i think) more tricky is the webserver
> configuration. I currently use debconf to ask the admin where he wants the
> blog to be reachable. Then I wanted to automatically configure the
> webserver, using Alias or some vhost directives, but i'm not sure what the
> best way of doing this is.

as far as the logistics of configuring the webserver goes, if what you
want done can be done by dropping a symlink in the appropriate
conf.d directory, that'd be the best way.

if you want your site to show up under a possibly already existing
vhost, i'm not sure what the best way to do that is.  istr apache2
introduced some tools for managing vhosts, but i haven't looked
closely in a bit so i might be misremembering.

> webapps-common could help here, but i think (may be wrong) that there is
> nothing ready yet (is it ?).

there's something in cvs, but it is neither documented nor is it
guaranteed to be bug-free :)  i put work on that on hold about a
month ago and haven't yet been able to get back to it.  if you're
interested, all i can recommend is looking at the example packages
or waiting :)

> In the meantine, what solution do you recommend ? Should i let the admin
> configure it 'by hand', and eventually provide a package.conf file that he
> could modify and put at the suitable place ? Is there currently a way to
> automate this ?

if the symlink approach wouldn't work, i'd say dump the settings into
a file and tell the admin in README.Debian to do "Include $filename"
in the appropriate vhost.  if you want to automate the process, i'd
give them the choice of the default symlink approach (which you
can do automatically) or the "manual configuration" approach, wherein
you refer them to the README.Debian.

	sean