Re: Minutes from the DebConf5 BOF?

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 04:12 -0400, sean finney wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 04:45:42PM +1200, Penny Leach wrote:
> > The main point of the remote-* packages is that they are a means to
> > depend on a database. Currently, you can depend on a database, which
> > hurts those users that want their database on another machine, or just
> > recommend one, which means that it's possible (likely) to install a
> > non-working web application.
>
> i'm not convinced that this is the right way to solve such a problem.
> imho webapps the need databases should stick with 'Recommends' field
> for the database servers it could use.

Well, that's a problem because "Recommends" can be ignored.  The web app
is not functional without a database, and possibly is literally
dependent on a particular version.  In that case the Recommends does not
capture the need and it would be nice to have an appropriate "Depends".

Having "remote-..." packages might give some other possibilities as
well, and what does it lose?

Personally, "Recommends" have been a pain to me in the past by getting
pulled in by package installations where I do not want them.  When I am
installing a web application I am often separating the application and
database for security reasons as much as for performance ones, and I
don't usually want to accidentally have database servers on the internet
- even unused ones.

> that said, it would be fairly easy (and not dependant on mucking with the
> package management system) to determine if a local database server is not
> installed, and inform the admin giving them the "stop now, i'll install
> a db server" vs. "i'm installing on a remote server" choices in debconf.
> something like this would be pretty easy to throw into dbconfig-common.

Excellent :-)

Cheers,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
                  BOFH excuse #175:
                               OS swapped to disk