Re: pgstatus: autofocus prevents keyboard navigating

On 2023-11-05 21:53, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 27.09.23 16:37, Blair Noctis wrote:
>> The autofocus attribute on the Package(s) field prevents keyboard navigating
>> (i.e. Ctrl+←). Using tabindex=0 one can press tab once to focus on it while
>> making keyboard navigating possible.
>
> How exactly does it break keyboard navigation and how would I reproduce it to
> see what this fixes?

Uh, I may have to take it back. It seems to be a conflict of keyboard shortcuts
on Mac only. The shortcut is actually Cmd+←, on Mac. The corresponding shortcut,
for going back, is Alt+← on Linux/Windows, I substituted Cmd with Ctrl without
verifying, knowing that's true for many cases. Then, Mac devices doesn't have a
Home key, so it allows Cmd+← to act like it, i.e. to jump to the start of a
line, but Linux/Windows have Home, so Alt+← has no need to multi-role. When a
input field is focused, these two roles conflict, but only on Mac.

> Is this an accessibility concern? Per [0] it looks like jumping to an element is
> considered somewhat hostile. But it's not clear to me if tabindex=0 preserves
> the natural order of Tab on the page.
>
> Kind regards and thanks
> Philipp Kern
>
> [0] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Global_attributes/autofocus

Setting tabindex "breaks" tab order, but autofocus does too. It's not better or
worse.

At this point I can't really blame setting autofocus, or tell if this change is
worth it.

--
Sdrager,
Blair Noctis