Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

On 14/03/19 at 00:01 -0700, Jose Miguel Parrella wrote:
> lucas wrote:
> > What could work is a group of people that are elected together, agree
> > beforehand on how to share the various areas of responsibility, and
> > synchronize very frequently to align their views. But it's probably hard
> > to be efficient in the typical Debian setup, and to determine a split of
> > responsibilities that would work.
> >
> > If people want to experiment in that direction, a group of people should
> > probably come forward, choose one of them as the DPL candidate, and
> > experiment after they get elected. It will always be time to write
> > things in stone^Hthe constitution when we have an organization that seem
> > to work and could be generalized.
>
> I would strongly consider offering help to a DPL team structured this
> way and chartered with offloading as many of the current delegations
> plus the financial, spokesperson, conflict resolution and front desk
> responsibilities from the DPL role as reasonable, including through
> additional votes within the year.
>
> Lucas, you also wrote:
>
> 	Responsibility #0: Keep Debian fun and functional
>
> I guess many anecdotes about this can't be told via Bits from the DPL
> but since Bdale seems to imply [0] that the people aspect is actually
> the least avoidable and the most energy consuming of the role, can you
> and/or other former DPLs provide some insights on why can't this be
> handled by petit comite?

Well it could be handled by a team, and to some extend it's already the
case (with the team being DPL + A-H + DAM. A setting, for example, could
be a lead negociator for each case that seeks advice from other members
of the team. But that requires quite a lot of
coordination/synchronization (which is difficult in Debian due to its
distributed/asynchronous nature). Also, in the most difficult cases,
this does not really take away much load from the "lead negociator" that
is still very exposed.

> You allude to "the authority associated to the position" as part of the
> DPL toolset. Do we think a DPLTeam would "lose" that? Conversely, if we
> were to lighten the load on the DPL so that they could focus on people,
> do we truly see the DPLite as Chief Mentor for the Project?

A DPL team would, by design, dillute the authority, and open the door to
play people against each other. I suspect that this would be a problem
in the most difficult cases, but each case is different.

Lucas