Re: Questions for DPL candidates: Support channels

Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> Do you think a HW Certification Process should be available for Debian ?
[…]
> Should we have a Certification Test Suite

As Project Leader I would not stand in the way of anyone wishing to
work on this and can certainly see value to Debian if they existed.
However, at this point I remain unconvinced that this is would be
the most valuable use of a Leader's attention throughout a term.

This is not because getting commercial vendors interested in Debian
is of no value (!), I just believe that developer-driven or grassroots
"bottom-up" efforts are just more effective at increasing our
userbase.

For example, getting VPS providers to switch their defaults to Debian
or for hackable IoT devices to ship with Debian would cause trickle-up
effects into the enterprise space over time, without the need for a
perceived-bureaucratic processes of hardware signoff or hardware
compatibility reporting.

Best wishes,

--
      ,''`.