Re: Q to Chris: create our own outreach initiative

Hi Lucas,

> > the number of students would never be so great to swamp others' work
>
> You use "students" here. This word wasn't in your platform

Apologies for the lack of clarity; I was meaning students in the more
general sense of a teacher-student relationship, not that they are
enrolled as a student at a school or university.

(Whether we would copy the GSOC restriction of requiring participants to
be "true" students is an open question, although my gut feeling is that
it is not necessary.)

> The bottom line being, it seems, the question of whether those programs
> should be used mainly to recruit new contributors, or mainly to get
> things done.

My strong feeling is that they should be used to recruit new contributors.

I believe this approach is superior as it is more likely to frame the
interaction between the project and the student as an ongoing relationship,
rather than a shorter-term or transactional affair limited only to the
scope of the proposal.

Regards,

--
      ,''`.