Re: what should the DFSG apply to?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 03:25:46PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> > You mean you want to go through GR 2004_003 *again*?
>
> That GR passed and was about the SC, not the DFSG. Personally I think
> it was a mistake to not change the terminology used in the DFSG at the
> same time as changing the terminology in the SC.

My point is that that GR was highly divisive, and had far-reaching
repercussions beyond what the original proposers had expected. We have a
consensus now that everything in Debian should be free, even those parts
that some don't consider to be "software".  While some parts of the DFSG
could be interpreted differently when viewed in isolation, as part of
the Social Contract and with the context it is clear that this is not
meant.

If we put this to a vote again, I'm sure many of the old arguments will
pop up again, resulting in a lot of heated words, which isn't very
useful if you're not trying to change the intended meaning. I'd like to
avoid that.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/