Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2011: Call for nominations

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 04:29:41PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 07:38:18PM +0100, Debian Project Secretary - Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > Prospective leaders should be familiar with the constitution, but
> > just to review: there's a one week period when interested
> > developers can nominate themselves and announce their platform,
> > followed by a three week period intended for campaigning, followed
> > by two weeks for the election itself.
>
> I can confirm Lars' bug report. Only self-nominations count, so Sean's
> mail is a no-op (which is unfortunate, given it would have reduced the
> embarrassment of nomination mails). Let me attempt an NMU to fix that:
>
>   I hereby nominate myself for the forthcoming DPL elections.

Great.

You've done a wonderful job last year. Not a perfect one IMO (but then,
nobody's perfect), but a very good one none the less. I don't think I
could've done any better, had I won instead of you. Unfortunately, this
does seem to make some people reconsider running against you. Like you
said, we should have another candidate.

I wouldn't mind running myself, except I'm about to move house again,
and the timing couldn't have been any worse. I didn't /really/ have time
last year, but I didn't let that get in the way of things; this time
around, however, I /really/ don't have time for campaigning, let alone
being DPL.

So here's a request for someone else to run.

I can't be the only one who believes there's one or two things that
Stefano could've done better. So even if you think there's only room for
improvement in just a few minor things, that can be good enough reason
to running for DPL.

I can't be the only one who believes we should have had a female DPL
years ago. So here's to you, Amaya, Margarita, Erinn, Hanna, and
Christine: send in that candidacy!

I can't be the only one who believes it's time we had a DPL from
somewhere else than north america, europe, or australia. Debian is a
truly global organization, and that should be reflected in our
leadership. If you're a DD from a country outside of those areas, run
already!

Don't be afraid to run for DPL just because you think Stefano has done a
good, or even great, job. The only reason why you shouldn't run is
because you believe you wouldn't do an acceptable job yourself. Don't
look at others; look at yourself. If you think you have what it takes to
be DPL, and you think you can contribute positively in the position, you
shouldn't need another candidate get in the way. After all, we've seen
excellent candidates burn out in their second year in the past, and so
far Stefano has not given us any reason why he wouldn't burn out
(you may consider that my first question if you wish, Stefano).

Go for it!

trying to fool the system.