Re: GR: welcome non-packaging contributors as Debian project members

On ti, 2010-09-14 at 13:14 +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Lars Wirzenius 2010-09-14 <[🔎] 1284461384.2573.26.camel@havelock>
> > I do not like the introduction of yet another class of person developing
> > Debian. I propose we call everyone with voting rights in Debian a
> > "Debian Developer" (development not being restricted to coding and
> > packaging).
>
> We are calling everyone "Debian Developer" (cf. the constitution). DCs
> are a subset of DDs. We realize that we probably need a handy
> expression for "DD with upload rights" [1], but we don't have one yet.
> (Ideas?)

Could we please instead not invent new names and call ourselves "DD with
upload rights" and "DD without upload rights"? We already have a problem
with terminology for various kinds of memberships. Let's not make it
worse.

> I do agree with the idea, but it opens up gray areas. There will be
> DCs who maintain some (maybe documentation-only?) packages, and will
> become DM for these. With the no-difference idea, it is unclear where
> the line to "classic DD" is. And voila, you end up being a fully
> uploading DD who has skipped T&S in the NM process.
>
> It's probably possible to do, but it has to be well-thought. Making
> T&S a formal (and technical) prerequisite to the "uploading" part cuts
> a clear line.

I re-iterate that I think the important distinction is one of trust. Not
skills.