Re: Question to all candidates: DPL's role in important package maintenance

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 06:27:00PM -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> First of all, I wish you all the very best for the elections!

Hi Kumar, thanks a lot!

> This has led some parts of the "community" (Debian Python, in this
> case) to knock the doors of the tech-ctte[1] (recommended reading,
> unless you have done so already).

I'm aware of the issue and I'm subscribed to the bug report.

> My question to you is, do you envision a role for the DPL in fixing
> such inadequate maintenance of important packages, or are you of the
> opinion that is it up to the affected Debian "community" to stop
> whining and step up with some action themselves?

I do see a DPL role in fixing this kind of issues between the maintainer
of an "important" package and the community revolving around all its
satellite packages. While the proper mechanism to solve this kind of
issues is exactly the tech-ctte, I believe there is quite some room of
"moral suasion" that the DPL should do (or delegate) to avoid this kind
of issues escalate or go on for much too long anyhow. When the does not
work, there isn't much more that the DPL can do.

In the specific case you mention, I'm aware that Steve has tried to
mediate at least in the form of offering resources to organize a F2F
meeting with all involved people (as reported in the bug log), but
unfortunately some of the involved parties did not reply to the
offer. All this is TTBOMK, on all sides of the issues.

Cheers.