Re: Question for all candidates: Care of Core infrastructure

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Marc Haber <mh+debian-vote@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> Do you see the diminishing care for our Core infrastructure as a
> problem? Do you have any idea how do sensibilize our new blood for the
> fact that "new packages" doesn't help Debian if our Core stuff is
> diminishing? I know that this is not exactly within the power of the
> DPL, but do you think that you, as DPL, can help speeding up Core
> development again?

As you say, this is quite not in the power of the DPL to solve.  The
only way that the problems listed by you and by the other messages in
this thread could be solved is by inspiring people to work on those
issues.  How? That's a very tricky question, since people are inspired
in several different ways.

However, it's quite common for people to approach the project (be it
through a mailing list, IRC or maybe personally asking a DD), saying
that they want to "Help Debian"... But we don't usually list those
core tasks as ways of helping Debian, because they are seen as too
important for newbies to help with.

I'm thinking that we could try to have a more fancy "Get involved in
helping Debian" page, where all teams that welcome help could post
their tasks and try to attract new contributors. Maybe even have a
parallell page that is only for DDs (since, for example, the release
team and ftp team require DDness, because the needed machine access),
and invite DDs to contribute more to Debian through it.

Having the requests for help more visible and easily findable by more
people would hopefully lead to more people helping out. Or not, but I
think it's worth trying.

Apart from that, I cannot think of a way to fix the core teams lack of
manpower.  It's not -like it used to be in some cases- that the teams
are not accepting new members, so we only need to reach the people
that want to join.

--
Besos,
Marga