Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal - Use Cases

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> == Upstream Maintainers ======
[...]
> Authorised by: Existing maintainer
> Notes: package should be co-maintained by maintainer and upstream, upstream
>   generally to be expected to be uploading code changes rather than
>   packaging changes

I'm not sure I agree with the note.  Of course it makes sense to upload
a new, say security-fixed minor upstream version with identical
packaging.  But that's mostly easy for active DD maintainers, too.  The
really interesting case would be an application with some
Debian-specific changes and a fruitful discussion how the upstream code
and build/install system could cater for distributors' needs.  Here the
upstream author could learn from Debian, and make the changes needed to
adapt to improvements in upstream packaging (like, switching from a
large patch or hack to the newly added configure option).

However, like Pierre, I'm not convinced that the numbers of actually
interested people is large.

I also have one more possible use case, again without an idea about
numbers:

== Team Members ======

In a packaging team consisting of DDs and non-DDs, it would be helpful
if some non-DDs could get upload rights.  In the Debian TeX team, a
couple of times we've encountered situations where the required fix for
an important or RC issue was obvious (already in the repository, or a
trivial patch), but the DD members were busy/offline/had their local
copy switched to an utter mess of mixed branches.  It would be great if
the non-DD, but DM-members could make an upload in such a case.

I'm not sure, though, that *our* team members would be very open to
that.  I could ask, if you like.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster