Re: [PROPOSAL] Final consensual proposal for the problematic firmware issue in the linux kernel sources.

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:17:56 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 03:57:28PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > Probably, but then choice 1. of the ballot currently under vote
>> > should have had 3:1 supermajority also, which added to misleading
>> > wording of the short title compared to the actual content of the
>> > proposal, cast some serious doubt as to the validity of the vote
>> > being currently held.
>>
>> Nope. Choice 1 (I am assuming you mean the gr_firmware's "release
>> etch despite firmware issues option", though that is not at all
>> clear) in no way requires anything that violates the DFSG or the
>> social contract, so it does not need the super majority.

> Well, it :

>   1. allows for releasing firmware binaries under the GPL lacking
>      propper sources.

        Wrong.  It only allows us to distribute drivers that upstream
 is implying we have sources for --  and we have no proof that the
 sources are not in the preferred form of modification.  Guessing that
 the preferred form of modification is not proof.

        {SNIP a whole lot of hostile text}

        manoj
--
The greatest disloyalty one can offer to great pioneers is to refuse
to move an inch from where they stood.