Re: Firmware & Social Contract: GR proposal

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:18:06PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > While we ship the text of the GPL, we'll be shipping content that's not
> > 100% free. [...]
> Please not that old myth!
>   Can I modify the GPL and make a modified license?
>     You can use the GPL terms (possibly modified) in another license
>     provided that you call your license by another name and do not include
>     the GPL preamble, and provided you modify the instructions-for-use
>     at the end enough to make it clearly different in wording and not
>     mention GNU (though the actual procedure you describe may be similar).
>     [...]
>   -- http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL

Heh, a FAQ on a website overriding the clear and explicit wording from the
license itself ("Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim
copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.")? Who
would've thought...

I don't think creating a "Debian General Public License" with the same
terms as the GPL, but without the preamble, and pretending all the
currently GPLed stuff is licensed under those terms would be in the
interests of either our users, or the free software community.

Yet, our social contract says that the Debian System will be 100% free...

Cheers,
aj