Re: Question for Matthew Garrett

andreas@schuldei.org (Andreas Schuldei) wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 12:30:02PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> What, by the way, are the intentions?  Except "release faster", of
>> course?
>
> The initial intention of the release team meeting was to help the
> release team to find a way to deal with the problems that slowed
> down sarge and and avoid those in the future.

That wasn't my question.  My question also was not whether it was your
intention to distract everybody from releasing sarge (I know it wasn't).

My question is: What are the intentions of the individual parts of the
proposal?  Some of this has already been clarified, in particular by
Andreas Barth's post.  Some has not, e.g. the intention behind the
requirement to be able to do the buildd work with at most 2 machines.

My other question is: Which are the particular problems that the
proposal intends to address? To me, some seem clear, albeit not from
Steve's original Nybbles message:

- Developing d-i for many arches has taken a lot of manpower and time,
  which otherwise would have been spent for a faster release.  The
  intention of reducing the number of arches is to free that developer
  time.

- Synchronizing security updates for all architectures is a pain.  The
  intention of reducing the number of supported arches is to be able to
  provide faster security updates for the mainline arches.

(by the way, there are probably other means to accomplish the second
goal).

For some other aspects of the proposal, I fail to see the intention.
Therefore I would very much appreciate a more verbose answer to this
question.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster