Re: Question for candidate Robinson

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:46:58PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 01:57:55AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > In your platform this year, you mention a grounding in legal issues as one
> > of the things that you have to offer the project as DPL.

> > Over the past year, there has been a great deal of controversy (I dare
> > say moreso than in preceding years) over the role of the debian-legal
> > list in defining our concept of Free Software.

> I agree with that assessment.  There is either a perception that the -legal
> mailing list has become a more "radical" place, or there are people
> repeating this opinion after they hear it from others without bothering to
> evaluate the traffic on -legal for themselves.

> > How would you respond to critics that would claim your prominence in
> > debian-legal marks you for an extremist, not a consensus-builder?

> I'd say that's a pretty loaded question.  :)

> If mere "prominence" on debian-legal marks one as an extremist, then there
> are many people who qualify as "extremists", including Sven Luther, who
> posted, by my reckoning, 303 messages to -legal between January and
> September of last year.

> It's worth considering the question of whether prominence equals extremism.
> To that end, I dashed off a quick Python script (attached) and fed it my
> debian-legal folder, which in its present state contains all the mails I've
> been sent from that list (I subscribe to it) since 1 January 2004.

As I mentioned to you on IRC, I was indeed amused when I saw this list of
top posters, because of how closely it correlates with my debian-legal
reading habits of skimming messages from certain posters who contribute in
volume far exceeding the original content of these messages.

What's disappointing is how a single question about debian-legal has
suddenly turned this thread into a veritable microcosm of that list, with
repeats of disagreements that have been heard a hundred times before with no
sign of anyone being persuaded by the arguments offered.

I have personally found your posts to debian-legal to almost always be
well-reasoned and moderate in tone.  Unfortunately, mere reasonableness and
moderation seem inadequate to quench the flames that plague the debian-legal
list.

> I don't think consensus-building is all that hard as long as common,
> relevant goals can be agreed upon.  Until and unless people can identify
> such goals, however, it's my experience that "consensus-building" is code
> language for "horse trading".  Am I a good horse-trader?  Am I, for
> instance, willing to overlook the flaws in the Apple Public Source License
> 2.0 so that we have the howl library in main[3]?  No, I am not, and it
> appears the consensus of my fellow developers is that we, as a project,
> should not either.

> Let me turn your question around a bit, then, and ask you:
>         * Do you feel the decision to move howl to non-free reflects the
>           consensus of Debian developers?

I do, but it's a consensus with a large dissenting factor within the
project; since I'd never talked to Jeff before about such things and had no
idea what he as a maintainer felt about such questions, I was careful to
emphasize the *lack* of consensus about the APSL 2.0 being free, rather than
asserting that there was a consensus that it was non-free.  Since Jeff
apparently already felt the same way about this license, I really have no
idea if this strategy is useful in practice. :)

>         * If so, how useful was the debian-legal mailing list to
>           determining that this consensus existed?

Very useful; the summaries/discussion of the APSL on-list were invaluable to
me in judging whether there was sufficient reason to question the freeness
of the software.

I just wish it were possible to do so without fear of an outbreak of
argument-sketch-itis.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer