Anthony Towns wrote:
> As such, I can see no way to release sarge without having all these
> things removed from the Debian system -- ie main.
>
> This will result in the following problems:
>
> 	* important packages such as glibc will have no documentation

This should not be too bad given that glibc is not only documented
in its own info files but also in the man-pages package that is
distributed from different sources.

Oh wait, man-pages became non-free upstream recently...

The Debian package was freed, though.

> 	* many pieces of hardware will not be supported by the Debian system
> 	  itself

Since we already face this "problem" woody already due to new hardware
being incompatible with older one, only the number will grow.

> 	* firmware will need to be split out of the kernel into userspace
> 	  in all cases

It's good when this happens.

> 	* firmware will need to be packaged separately from the
> 	  kernel/X in all cases

Apparently.

> 	* debian-installer will need to be rewritten to support obtaining
> 	  non-free firmware but not other non-free packages

It would be a clean solution at the end of the day, so this is good.

> 	* firmware for drivers needed for booting (network cards
> 	  particularly) will need to be made available as udebs in
> 	  non-free, and separate non-free d-i images will need to be
> 	  made for people relying on that firmware

This is awkward, I admit.  On the other hand, developers also voted
to keep non-free distributed on debian.org machines, so this is a
good chance to support it accordingly, sigh.

> At the rate we're currently going, I don't really expect to be able to
> achieve this this year. In light of the new Social Contract, however,
> I don't believe there are any other decisions I can make in this area.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.