Re: GR: Editorial amendments to the social contract

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:09:33PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Debian Project Secretary (secretary@debian.org) wrote:
>
> > New text:
> >
> > 5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
> [...]
> > We encourage CD
> > manufacturers to read the licenses of the packages in these areas and
> > determine if they can distribute the packages on their CDs.
>             ^^
> This "if" should be "whether".

Only when you have a list of alternates following it, rather than a
single boolean. The equivalent form would be "whether or not ...",
which I considered to be needlessly verbose.

> > Thus,
> > although non-free works are not a part of Debian, we support their use
> > and provide infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug
> > tracking system and mailing lists).
>
> Misplaced modifier -- it sounds like the BTS and mailing lists are
> non-free software!  Possibly change to:  "Thus, although non-free
> works are not a part of Debian, we support their use and provide
> infrastructure (such as our bug tracking system and mailing lists)
> for non-free packages."

Which is how I had it originally (first draft), and somebody
objected. I recall that they had a valid point, but I'll have to go
digging to remember what it was.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |