Re: drop or keep non-free - from users viewpoint

Sven Luther wrote:

So, what new graphic card will you buy ? There is no choice about this
currently, and things are only getting worse.

I think, it is just a luck that we have today possibility to produce
free OS for PC. If you will look at the new hardware for example cell
phones, like Nokia with Symbian[1], you can notice that a lot of it is
non-free. Even if one will manage to port Linux to Nokia (AFAIK ppc),
he will not be able to upload it to the device without special hardware.
Could happen a lot of hardware will be non-free in future. The only way
to prevent it is to have good support of free hardware. This will encourage hardware producers to be more opened. Supporting non-free hardware gives carte blanche to the hardware produces, it is like, hey,
produce non-free, we will be happy to support it!

1. Interesting, that Symbian SDK toolchain uses gcc.
--
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov