Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 00:14, Craig Sanders wrote:

> but i forget - certain words in the English language are allegedly beyond the
> pale, they are a magically perfect excuse for ignoring the actual substance of
> what someone has to say and to instead concentrate on whining about a few
> choice words.

Actually, that is the point.  If you were to come to me and  use that
same language I would ask you to come back when you calmed down and
could rationally discuss the subject.  If you persisted, I would walk
away.  I don't treat people in that fashion, and don't tollerate it from
others.

Your choice of words immediately cheapens or discredits your argument,
no matter how valid it might be.  You can choose to work within the
boundaries set by society, or be ignored until you do.  In international
societies (yes, Debian is an international society) where individual
morals and norms of behaviour vary greatly, one needs to lean toward the
"more polite or formal" mannerisms in public forums if they wish to be
heard (and not killfiled) by the greatest number of people.

Pat