Re: Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On 2004-03-04 09:22:00 +0000 Massimo Coletti <m.coletti@finnat.it> wrote:

Removing the non-free section will narrow the perspective of the Linux
world offered by Debian, and somehow limit a degree of freedom currently
available for Debian users.

I think you have misunderstood the proposed GR. No-one intends to make it impossible to install non-free works on Debian if you wish (although I don't think you should), so talk of "limit a degree of freedom" seems untrue to me. In fact, I think support for all kinds of third-party contributions will be strengthened as a result. The GR merely stops us wasting the project's resources on non-free software.

As to "brand protection" -- well, non-free is already not part of the Debian operating system...

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at